Live performances of Electronic Music tend to rely heavily on technology, and they often do sound like the music of technology. Electronic Music development has historically been mostly oriented to the sound sources and/or the finished work. Unlike in jazz, the individual has rarely been a focal point. By 2003, i began considering to play Electronic Music in a way that is more concerned with the musician than with the instrument; in which technology is a means (not an end) to focus on personal decisions and musicianship; in which what you play matters more than the instrument you play with.
Rafael Toral, 2003 – 2010
Some lines of development in the Space Program:
• Space (CD, 2006; 2LP, 2007 – orchestral environment for electronic instruments)
• Space Solo 1 (CD, 2007; LP, 2008)
• Space Solo 2 (to be released)
Space Elements series:
• Space Elements Vol. I (CD, LP, 2008)
• Space Elements Vol. II (CD, LP, 2010)
• Space Elements Vol. III (CD, LP, 2011)
NOTE: The Space Program’s RECORDING structure formerly projected 3 items on the Solo series and 6 releases on the Space Elements series. As of December 2012, I decided to have both series completed with the releases above. This will bring creative focus and openness. Other subsequent Space Program releases may occur outside this recording structure on an open basis. Live performance projects such as the Space Collective, the Space Trio and the solo Space Studies may continue.
• Space Studies (solo performance on specific instruments; there are 8 so far)
• Space Collective (orchestral formation in continuous development)
• Space Trio (post-free jazz trio, but electronics-driven)
• Space Quartet (post-free jazz quartet, but electronics-driven)
• Space Program Workshop
(Intensive practical work in 4 days, including collective performance)
• Space Program Keynote
(Detailed presentation of the Space Program’s concepts and features, with graphics and audio, discussion with the audience)
NOTE: Any of the projected items may be changed, the Space Program itself is always in motion and changing.